These flat, clear Corning® petri dishes are made from Soda Lime Silica glass and will withstand repeated sterilization (wet or dry). Approximate dish bottom diameter and height is 142x22mm. The edges are beaded to provide greater mechanical strength. The bead also provides a means to equally space the side walls of the bottom and cover, thereby reducing the capillary action of the condensed moisture on the sides. They are not affected chemically or thermally by any of the methods commonly employed in laboratories where sterilization is routinely used.
- The covered dish is not airtight
- Bottoms also have a triangular enamel reference point for serial dilutions
- The thermal expansion of Soda Lime Glass is 93.5 x 10-7 cm/cm/?C.
- The normal service temperature is 110ºC and the extreme service temperature is 460ºC.
- These dishes are not designed for rapid thermal shock
The Corning® brand Petri Dishes should be viewed as a low cost alternative to Pyrex® brand Petri Dishes (Catalog #3160) which are made from low expansion (32.5 x 10-7 cm/cm/ºC) borosilicate glass.