Anaerobic HiVeg™ Agar (Brewer) is recommended for the isolation and sensitivity testing of anaerobic and microaerophilic organisms and study of colonial morphology. The medium contains sodium thioglycollate and sodium formaldehyde sulphoxylate which provides adequate anaerobiosis. Resazurin imparts pink colour to the media in presence of oxygen. Clostridium species grows luxuriantlly on the media. This medium is prepared by replacing animal peptones with vegetable defined peptones to avoid BSE/TSE/GMO risk.
- Appearance of powder: Light yellow coloured, may have slightly greenish tinge, homogeneous, free flowing powder
- Gelling: firm, comparable with 1.5% agar gel
- Colour and clarity: light amber coloured, clear to slightly opalescent gel forms in petri plates which turns red on standing due to aeration
- Reaction of 5.3% w/v aqueous solution is pH 7.2 ± 0.2 at 25°C
- Cultural characteristics observed after an incubation at 35-37°C for 18 - 48 hours