Anaerobic Agar (Brewer) is recommended for the isolation and sensitivity testing of anaerobic and microaerophilic organisms and study of colonial morphology. The medium contains sodium thioglycollate and sodium formaldehyde sulphoxylate which provides adequate anaerobiosis. Resazurin imparts pink colour to the media in presence of oxygen. Clostridium species grows luxuriantlly on the media.
- Appearance: Cream to yellow homogeneous free flowing powder
- Gelling: firm, comparable with 1.5% agar gel
- Colour and clarity of prepared medium: light amber coloured clear to slightly opalescent gel forms in petri plates that becomes red due to aeration on standing
- Reaction of 5.3% w/v aqueous solution at 25°C. pH : 7.2±0.2
- Cultural characteristics observed under anaerobic condition, after an incubation at 35-37°C for 18-48 hours