Levinthal's Medium Base is recommended for cultivation of Haemophilus species. Addition of sterile rabbit or human blood makes media selective. Blood provides two factors, which supports growth of Haemophilus species: factor-X and factor-V. Pathogenic Haemophilus species are presumptively identified by determining in vitro growth requirements for X and V factors and by haemolytic reactions.
Application: For Laboratory Chemicals, Analytical Purpose, Biochemical Analysis
- Appearance: Cream to yellow homogeneous free flowing powder
- Gelling: Firm, comparable with 2.0% agar gel
- Color and Clarity of prepared medium: Basal medium : Light yellow colored clear to slightly opalescent gel After addition of blood & heating : Chocolate brown colored, opaque gel forms in Petri plates
- Reaction: Reaction of 4.5% w/v aqueous solution at 25°C. pH : 7.6±0.2
- Cultural Response: M472: Cultural characteristics observed with added sterile rabbit or human blood, under 5-10% CO2 and 70% humidity, after an incubation at 35-37°C for 18-24 hours