Wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE) and wastewater surveillance can be a powerful tool for communities, businesses, schools, universities, and municipalities looking to track and prevent the spread of COVID-19 infections. According to the CDC, SARS-CoV-2 RNA detection in sewage serves as a COVID-19 indicator that is independent of healthcare-seeking behaviors, access to clinical testing, and can be a leading indicator of changes in COVID-19 burden in a community.
Quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) is emerging as a helpful tool for detecting and quantifying viral load in wastewater.
Hach has partnered with LuminUltra Technologies to bring the GeneCount® Q-16 qPCR to you.
LuminUltra’s GeneCount® Q-16 devices deliver high performance quantitative PCR, enabling real-time detection of amplified nucleic acids. The GeneCount® Q-16 qPCR can test up to 16 samples with a range of assays in a single run. In less than 90 minutes you can identify whether target microorganisms such as SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 (a type of coronavirus), are present.
Traditional SARS-CoV-2 wastewater testing methods, including the collection, extraction and concentration steps are expensive, complicated, and time-consuming. The Q-16 qPCR and accompanying method are simple and quick in comparison, allowing users with labs to perform their own testing, saving time and money.
Fast & Easy Results
- Your facility will now have the ability to take action the same day rather than waiting up to 7 days to receive results from a 3rd party lab. No need for centrifuges, expensive lab equipment, or special PCR training to run the test.
Lower Cost Per Test*
- Sending samples to an outside lab can cost $300-$1,000 per test. Testing in-house with the LuminUltra GeneCount® Q-16 qPCR is ~$42 per test*.
*after instrument purchase
Accurate Testing Technology
- Using gold-standard qPCR technology, the LuminUltra GeneCount® Q-16 and qPCR test measure a specific RNA molecule in real-time, multiplying and amplifying it—so that trace amounts of virus can be detected.
Applications for Wastewater Surveillance Monitoring :
Wastewater-based epidemiology (WBE) can be a powerful approach for detecting COVID-19 outbreaks early and is an essential surveillance tool to complement any community monitoring strategy. The easy-to-use, portable GeneCount® Q-16 allows you to test for SARS-CoV-2 among other assays for RT-PCR testing. Common applications include:
- Cities and municipalities
- Schools and campuses
- Long-term care facilities
- Correctional facilities/prisons
Hach products are intended for sale/shipment within the US only. International customers should contact their local Hach distributor to place orders for Hach products.